Monday, March 25, 2013

Fear of the Unknown

After viewing many of the tumbler quilts on Kathie's blog I just started cutting.  I made my tumblers 3" finished.  My ruler  has two little angles at the bottom for cutting off tiny pieces.  It seemed rather tedious at the time, but it meant that the pieces lined up easily and  in no time at all I put my new quilt top together.


In fact, it's so big I couldn't fit the whole quilt into the frame on my camera. I have pressed the seams open between rows.  There is some dispute as to whether it was a good idea, but I would like to see for myself.  I've been informed that my seams will be weaker, but once it's quilted, surely that is not an issue.  It certainly lies flatter at the moment.  Any comments?

 My intention is to machine quilt it using a walking foot.  In spite of all my lessons on free motion quilting, I'm still too anxious to let go with the darning foot.  I can still remember the same sensation learning to dive.  So many years and so many dives later, in retrospect I know it to be unreasonable.

However, it would be more than tedious to unpick lots of hastily sprayed FMS so I'm opting for the easy, safe road.

Meanwhile, I'm busily baking all sorts of flourless cakes, orange and walnut, chocolate and almond and my new favourite, orange sponge.  Chag Sameach!

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Your quilt will be just fine. Open seams makes stitch in the ditch for a longarmer a challenge because there isn't a ditch. I would do straight line quilting on this, not FM all over it. Gorgeous. Did you see the mini tumbler I showed on my blog? Kathie pieced it and Lori quilted it.

Sharon said...

Your quilt will be just fine. Open seams makes stitch in the ditch for a longarmer a challenge because there isn't a ditch. I would do straight line quilting on this, not FM all over it. Gorgeous. Did you see the mini tumbler I showed on my blog? Kathie pieced it and Lori quilted it.

Janet O. said...

Lovely tumbler quilt, Liz!
When I do my mini tumblers I press the seams open between rows. I've only made one large tumbler quilt and I didn't open the seams on that, but I think it was more out of habit. I was taught not to press open when I first started quilting decades ago because of the bearding of the old poly battings, but that isn't an issue now. I've never heard the "weak seams" school of thought.

Quilting By Celia said...

Your quilt looks great ! I have been cutting tumblers but wasn't sure how to combine the colours but I like how you did it with the light tumblers alternating.

Every Stitch said...

It looks beautiful ! and I think the walking foot should be fine. I only gained confidence with free motion when I decided to turn the speed down on the machine (against teacher's advice) - made such a difference to my control. Have fun :)
Hilda

antique quilter said...

oh it looks wonderful! I love the light airy look I may just have to make another one inspired by yours!
once you get the hang of sewing tumblers you don't need those notched corners! pressing seams open I have a friend who made quilts that way UNTIL she started noticing the seams opening up and spreading apart on her quilts after using them....
I haven't tried it but I have seen the result of hers.
good luck!
Kathie

Maureen said...

Lovely! I often press my seams open and so far it hasn't been a problem. Will be interested seeing what you and others think.
I agree with Hilda. Slowing down helped my FMQ.
Enjoy your holiday!

Mary said...

Seams were pressed to one side in the past to keep batting from bearding through the quilt top, and because the hand sewn seams were not as strong. With today's battings and machine sewn seams,less problem with pressing those seams open. Sew your seams with a higher stitch per inch count. I press to one side mostly because I want to nest my seams, but I press others open to reduce bulk. Easier to quilt on the long arm when you don't have 8 pieces of fabric layered one on top of each other in a seam. If you press your seams open, you'll do more pinning to match the seams.

Carol G said...

Tumblers are one of my favorite one-patch patterns and I always have a pile waiting which has been cut from my 3.5" scrap strips. I love windmilling the seams but it is very tedious if machine pieced. Your quilt looks great and I'm looking forward to the finish. BTW, I think we fear FMQ because we are such perfectionists and are not willing to spend the hours of practice to get there :-) Maybe someday--sigh.

Nancy said...

Love the tumbler quilt. I press seams open on occasion usually when making a small quilt but prefer to press them to one side for strength.
Now what about these flourless cakes? I recently gave up wheat and am looking for something sweet to eat.

Grit said...

This looks fantastic.
Grit from germany

Nicky said...

Liz I love FMQ now but it has taken lots of practice to get better at it! The advantage of having a stack of UFOs to quilt! I didn't feel too precious about them and just went for it!