Saturday, June 18, 2011

Relaxed and grinning

By now, if you've been following this blog, you may have observed that I don't start a quilt and finish it in proper chronological order.  I'm that sort of quilter.  The one who starts something, comes up against an obstacle, puts the offending object out of sight and then returns to it sometime later.

Possibly one of my quilts has suffered from this more than others


If you are interested in its slow progress you can read about it here and here.

Now the final border is on and it's time for the backing.  Usually, the backing is done in a huge rush.  Generally a fabric from the bolts in my header surrenders up enough for the backing.

With this quilt I thought I'd do something I haven't done before.  There are so many checks and plaids left over from the front, and I no longer do "country" quilts.  It seemed like a reasonable way to divest myself of some fat quarters and 30cm strips of  fabric.



Instead of 45 minutes, the backing took all day...but I really enjoyed the process.  I just squared up the remnants of fat quarters and strips and sewed them together, trueing them up as I went.  It may be described as liberated piecing.  It was certainly fun and it was great to know that I am finally using up that part  of my stash.  I think I'll call it a relaxed quilt back.

The plan is for me to machine quilt using my walking foot.  One day I'll be brave enough to do FMQ (free motion quilting), but right now I am rationalizing that I still need more practice on straight lines and rolling the quilt up under the machine arm.

I am mulling over a name for this quilt.  It isn't finalized until the binding and label are on, but I may call it "Pointless".   To get the pun, you will have to go back to the original post if you haven't already.

Moments after I cut into my stash and pieced the back, the local quilting guru advised me that "country" is making a comeback.  Not into my stash, it isn't!

12 comments:

Nicky said...

This sounds so familiar! Any problem, leave it and move on...but I have just finished one of my UFOs and love it now! This quilt looks really great and isn't is sad it has languished so long. Laughed at the name but I think it deserves a more positive association than that! What about Ruby Star Blues!

Crispy said...

Well no quilt is actually Pointless unless it's really ugly, which this quilt is NOT, though I do understand the meaning of the name. In this small picture you can't see the missing points at all. It will still keep someone one warm, either in your house or someone elses. The main thing is you got it done and you had fun making the backing :0)

No country fabrics in my stash either LOL.

Crispy

Carol G said...

I love the way the colors blend from blue to red and back again in this quilt. So glad you finished this one and had so much fun with the backing. I agree with Nicky that your proposed name is too negative for this lovely quilt.

Sheila said...

I love the story of "Pointless". I think we have all been there at one time or another. My sister and I have made a promise; we are leaving our stashes to each other, that includes unfinished projects! Have a great day.

Cheri said...

Congratulations to you for finishing it! It looks very pretty with the color graduations and it is only at closer inspection that you see the points. I like the name, it reminds you of your learning experience. The back of the quilt is as interesting as the front and you have saved it from a garage sale. I look back at some of my first quilts and CRINGE. For some reason I gave most of those quilts to my son when he was single...I apologize to my daughter-in-law every time I see her using one :)
Happy Stitching,
Cheri

Lynette said...

Oh my gosh, I am exactly the same way. Any disappointment or problem-solving needed, and I have to put it away and work on a different project. The good thing about that is that when I pull it back out, my mind and attitude are fresh and usually the obstacle seems much, much less daunting or disappointing than it did the first time around!

Marié du Toit said...

This is a beautiful quilt and deserves a[place on the wall where one can really admire it!

Janet O. said...

I love the name of the quilt--I bet we have all had experiences like this. I applaud you for finishing it, and in spite of being less than pointedly perfect (and not your style anymore) it is a beautiful quilt!

Millie en Miles said...

Beautiful Quilt Great colours !!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that back is cute! I have been finding I really am liking pieced backs too!

Dawn said...

Beautiful quilt.
Yup...tossed a few aside and dome have remained that way.
Brave girl with so many pieces on the back!
Free motion = drink wine = relax then free motion

Julie Fukuda said...

The back is almost as good as the front. I have to admit I have had a few delayed finishes.